Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Easy, Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas

The hubby and I love Tex Mex! The hubs has it for lunch at least twice a week. Enough said. There's just something about the gooeyness of the cheese, the tender meat, fresh tortillas, and don't you dare forget about chips and salsa! Anyone else have trouble refraining themselves from consuming an entire basket (or two) of chips by themselves?? No? Good. Me neither! Right... Darn you Chuy's for your awesome Happy Hour of unlimited queso with ground beef and your drool worthy creamy jalapeƱo ranch dressing!

In my recent attempts of eating healthier and my undying craving for unhealthy foods, this recipe didn't make me feel too guilty with each bite I took. Plus, it was super duper easy to make and even the hubs loved it! He's pro-full fatty foods all the way and refuses to consume anything I make that has a slight healthy spin on it. Needless to say, I had to make sure the hubby stayed out of the kitchen while I prepped this meal so he didn't see the ingredients. However, I did reveal them after he consumed 5 enchiladas. I think I might have persuaded him to try healthier versions of food. Might have.

Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas
Adapted from Annie's Eats

Ingredients:
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (use more if you want more meat or substitute it for other types of meat!)
8 oz. Greek Yogurt (I used 0% Fage Greek Yogurt)
8 oz. Light Ranch salad dressing
tortillas (I used low carb whole wheat)
jar of salsa
shredded Mexican cheese

Simple enough right? I was super excited to learn that Greek yogurt is an excellent substitute for sour cream! I have this stuff stashed in my fridge 24/7 yo! Any way, let's cook!

1. Cook chicken breasts by preferred cooking method until cooked through. Set aside to cool a bit.

2. In a large mixing bowl, combine half of the Greek yogurt and half of the Ranch dressing. In a smaller bowl, combine the rest of the yogurt and Ranch dressing. Stir both until well combined. Shred or chop the cooked chicken and add to the large mixing bowl. Mix well with sauce.

3. Preheat the oven to 375°. Spray a 9 x 13″ pan with cooking oil. Take one tortilla and top with a little less than 1 tbsp. of the sauce from the small bowl. Spread over the tortilla in an even layer. Add some of the chicken mixture to the center of the tortilla. Top with salsa to taste. Sprinkle with shredded cheese, to taste. Roll up tortilla and place, seam side down, in the prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining ingredients. This does get a lil messy so I suggest doing this on a plate or cutting board for ease of clean up later on.

4. Bake in oven for 25-30 minutes (30 for a crispier tortilla). I baked it for 27 minutes. Allow to cool a few minutes before serving.

Look at all the gooeyness flowing out!! nom nom nom

That's it!! This was soooooo good y'all. I made it for dinner last week, and the hubby has already requested it for dinner again. Healthy rendition and all!

What's your favorite Tex Mex food and why??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...